Getting arrested during a pandemic is confusing. You’re released from jail with all this paperwork, but no court date. Once you receive your court date, it’s either in the distant future or gets reset every 6 weeks.
I’ve spoken with several individuals recently who have delayed hiring an attorney on their new cases for several weeks, and in some instances, months. This is not a result of apathy or carelessness, it’s mainly because people are confused. Why do I need a lawyer if I am not going to court? What’s a lawyer going to do for me during a shut down? How can I afford a lawyer in these uncertain times? These are all legitimate concerns on the surface. I would never criticize a person for thinking these things, especially in current times. The following details why hiring an attorney immediately upon being arrested makes more sense.
- Criminal Lawyers are considered “essential” businesses. This means we have and will continue to work through the pandemic. I’m open. I call, email, and review cases every day. I am in constant communication with court personnel, prosecutors, and clients. You have many questions, I’m here to help.
- Most DWI/BWI cases have immediate deadlines. For example, you have 15 days from your arrest to request a hearing on the suspension of your Driver’s License. If you do not request the hearing timely, then the suspension is automatic, and we lose a valuable opportunity to learn from the officer under oath outside of the criminal case itself.
- There are things you can begin to do immediately that will help your case. Whether it be preserving critical evidence, meeting with counselors or physicians, or community service, you will not know what direction to take without consulting and working through your options with an attorney.
- In some instances, we can resolve your case prior to ever having to go to court. Some low level misdemeanor and felony charges for people with no to minimal criminal history can be resolved outside the court process. I can facilitate this for you.
- Money is always an issue when considering hiring an attorney. That’s why we accept all forms of payment and offer reasonable payment plan arrangements that make sense for us and our clients. With the current backlog in cases in the courts, we can sometimes be even more flexible in monthly payments.
These are just some of the reasons why it is important to contact an attorney immediately after you’re arrested. Please do not hesitate to contact our office if you have any legal needs or want to discuss your case in our free consultation. We offer online or telephonic consultations, as well as in office consultations by appointment.